While trying to install a Joomla component today, it returned an error message saying â€œUnable to find install package.â€ I tried installing the same component in another Joomla site of mine and it worked, so now it was time to look for differences between the two sites to determine what was causing the problem.
After some searching and experimenting, I found the difference in the configuration.php file which is located in the root of the web site. Bad FTP settings were causing the component to not install. The way to get around this problem is to turn off FTP and clear all of the variables, as follows:
var $ftp_enable = ‘0’;
var $ftp_host = ”;
var $ftp_port = ”;
var $ftp_user = ”;
var $ftp_pass = ”;
var $ftp_root = ”;
After doing this, the component installed without any problems.