The Public Desktop in Windows is hidden by default. This desktop is the best place to install shortcuts for sharing with multiple users on a computer. To unhide this folder, follow the steps below:
- Login to the computer as the administrator user.
- Browse with File Explorer to C:\Users\Public.
- You probably won’t see the Desktop folder. Open the View menu and check on Hidden items.
- A faded Desktop folder will appear. Right click on the folder and select Properties.
- Uncheck the Hidden box and press the OK button.
- A Confirm Attribute Changes dialog box will appear. Select “Apply changes to this folder, subfolders and files” and press OK.
- The folder will now be public and any icons you place there will be visible for all users.